Sunday, September 27, 2009

Museum walkthrough



I got a chance to walk through the art institute today and instead of the Modern Wing I focused on the exhibits in the older section of the museum. I got a chance to visit the Impressionism exhibit again (it's been ages) and felt great to see van Gogh again. Although exciting to see and literally wanting to touch it, I noticed they have a glass barrier in front of it. Darn. I guess I'll have to talk to some staff people if there is a way I can physically touch his impasto oil style (I kinda sound creepy now).

The overall walkthrough of the original museum felt nostalgic and peaceful when walking through the various parts of the rooms and floors. I got a chance to to walk through the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean Art, American Art before 1900s, exhibits from the Indian, Southeast Asian, and Himalayan Art, and American Modern Art. I did trip an alarm in the Chinese Art gallery (oops) since I was trying to read a plaque of a chinese stone door piece. But what I observed is that there wasn't much of a interactive technology display in the older areas. Besides the usual Pathfinder screens at the main entrance and the occasional people with audio tour equipment, I didn't see anything else groundbreaking or new. I was a sad panda.

Something things I'd like to see would be some sort of interactive pathway through the museum. Perhaps several more screens in between exhibits of where you can make your own route and upload it to your ipod or iphone or email it to whatever mobile device you have. Then maybe a lighted pathway on the floor: this would not only entertain the kids but help visitors go to certain exhibits and routes to particular places (bathrooms, staff, etc). This would be tricky since it can't be too bright, no noise, and yet still noticeable for people to see and follow. Like several people already suggest, more screens around certain rooms and perhaps update the interactive children's center.

The website can also be updated with current exhibits, showings, lectures, and such since I know more about it on paper than online (plus I saw that there are auditoriums in the museum–that's pretty cool since I didn't know!). There is a lot about the musuem that can be shown more or be better accessible online (think overall improvement of the sites UI).

No comments:

Post a Comment