Sunday, September 20, 2009

Video Editing in Ann Arbor! Keynote next?

It seems that I do a lot of driving lately. Perhaps it's because this is the start of a new school year and I'm still adjusting to my new surroundings. Whatever the case, I came back to Ann Arbor. I promised to help my g/f Rachel to work on her video presentation.

I was planning on doing it on Final Cut Pro (since I taught it in the past and pretty good at it) but she was using iMovie 09. It was tricky to learn at first but after a few guided tours on Apple's website and playing around with the advance settings on the program, I was able to tweak the edits pretty darn close to what I want. I have to admit iMovie 09 tried to incorporate the editing style of Final Cut but into a more user-friendly/visual interface way. Where was the time code? Clip mark numbers? etc? It was more visual editing rather than precise number editing. Nonetheless we got the 12 min video done and I was pretty impressed of myself in editing this all in iMovie 09 (with help of Audacity, iTunes, Photoshop, etc).

Overall this got me thinking of my upcoming project for Cyberpedagogy class: Who R U? Keynote presentation. This should be pretty easy at first since I worked a lot with Keynote during my first freelance projects after my undergraduate years. But about me in 10 slides or less? That's pretty challenging since I tend to go overboard. I do have a few highlights about myself (just browse on Facebook and see my profile) but there are a few tiny things about me that people don't know (I can teleport? You're just imagining things...). This should be a fun and creative project and will be great to see how everyone else in class presents themselves. I'm curious if costumes are allowed...

4 comments:

  1. if a costume works with the presentation, who am i to say no. :)

    i have to be honest, i've never been a huge fan of these newer versions of imovie. the simplification of the program has resulted in the loss of some of the more sophisticated editing features. and i just don't think it's as user-friendly. really prefer imovie hd still. or maybe i'm just an old dog refusing the new tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 slides is a lot - you can do it! less is more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Ugh, the new iMovie is a mess, I think!!

    2. Why are you using Audacity instead of Garage Band, out of curiosity?

    3. PLEASE wear a costume :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the iMovie is difficult and not the greatest. But for people who haven't used Final Cut Pro or don't have video experience it's a good program to start. Personally I'd rather stick to FCP.

    Audacity is a simple cut edit program that's free. Some of my friends don't have iLife 09 or Quicktime Pro. Audacity is a simple program and reminds me of SoundEdit back then. It's still a good program.

    Costume? Hmm well if Ray will let me wear my latin outfit from my Ballroom Dancing Competition days...

    ReplyDelete